Reliability, productivity and deep expertise: A pat on the back for older workers
Enbridge named to Top Employers for Canadians Over 40 for fifth time in six years
Age is an issue of mind over matter, Mark Twain once wrote. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.
Canada’s workforce, like many others, is growing decidedly older. Over the past five years, the number of older Canadian workers has grown by 22 percent—that’s almost 20 times the growth rate of younger workers, according to Statistics Canada.
And with that trend acting as a backdrop, a number of international studies have recently examined generational capability in the workforce.
The results may come as a surprise to some:
- On balance, older employees’ productivity and reliability are higher than those of their younger counterparts;
- Older workers are less likely to find using technology in the workplace stressful;
- Older workers have much to teach their colleagues about workplace interpersonal skills;
- Older workers understand loyalty, and know that companies take care of those who take care of the company.
Since 2001, the Top Employers for Canadians Over 40 list has recognized such companies.
This annual index makes note of employers that reward skill and experience, and maintain conducive workplace culture and conditions for the older members of their workforce—and for the fifth time in six years, and ninth time overall, Enbridge Inc. has been named to that list.
Mediacorp Canada, the group that publishes the annual Canada’s Top 100 Employers list, gave the following reasons for Enbridge’s 2017 inclusion:
- Previous work experience toward vacation entitlement;
- Pre-retirement planning assistance;
- Phased-in work options for those nearing retirement; and
- Extended health benefit coverage to retirees.
Interested in learning more?
Find out what an Enbridge career can do for you by checking out our current job opportunities in Canada and the United States.